Saturday, March 15, 2008

Pan Fried Walleye

This is my grandmother's recipe for Walleye. Always hits the spot on a summer evening.

You will need:
2 full size walleye filets
1-2 cups milk
1 package saltine crackers
1 egg beaten
2 tablespoons butter

This is definately camping style.After I filet the skin off the walleye and make sure all the bones are out, I soak the fish in milk. The reason for this is to take any "fishiness" out, this is especially good if it's frozen fish. For fresh fish caught that day there is no need.

While the fish is soaking in it's milk bath I put about a full package of saltine crackers in a ziplock bag and crush them up into small crumbs.
Crumbs go into a bowl where they will later coat the fish.
I also start my potatoes.
I didn't have any corn on the cob so I had to do with canned corn. I got it ready to go but I don't actually turn the heat on until the last 5 minutes of cooking everything else.
In a large frying pan i put about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Make sure the pan it very hot before you put the fish in.
I put the bowl of fish near a bowl of srambled up eggs and the crackers. Once things get going you have to work fast fast fast.
You start by transferring the fish from the milk, into the egg. Make sure to coat the fish generously with the egg.
From the egg you go piece by piece and coat with cracker crumbs. Once coated put into the hot frying pan. It's always best to work with the largest pieces first as the timing will work for the little pieces in the end which need less time to cook.
Gently turn the pieces over after they've browned on one side. You only want to turn the fish once so make sure it's cooked well enough before you flip. Oh, and a tongs works way better than a pancake flipper!
You want both sides browned to golden. About 3-4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the pieces.
I turn the heat on the corn, mash the potatoes and serve it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment