Sunday, March 9, 2008

Breakfast

This is a wonderful hearty breakfast that will stick with you and keep you going all day.

You will need:
2 red potatoes
1/4 white onion
salt & pepper
fresh bacon
eggs
maple syrup
1 tablespoon dry dill
1 tablespoon creme fraiche (or cream cheese, whichever you like)

First, I peel and slice a couple red potatoes into very thin slices.

I toss them in a pan with a little butter and a little olive oil. I season with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper corns.
I also slice up some white onion for the potatoes but I don't add it until the potatoes are almost cooked thru. This will prevent the onion from burning. Just a couple minutes in the pan to wilt the onion and bring out the sweetness.
Next I start my bacon. I use thick center cut bacon. I drizzle a little maple surup over the bacon while it cooks to give it a nice flavor. If you like really crispy bacon, wait to add the surup until the bacon is almost done.
I start my eggs. I use a small pot for the eggs as it is VERY important to constantly stir them. Don't season the eggs until they are near the end of cooking. If you add salt now the eggs will start to break down and you'll end up with watery eggs.

The potatoes are browned and ready for the onion.
Once the eggs are starting to get stiff I add the salt, fresh cracked pepper, about a tablespoon of dill weed and a heaping tablespoon of Creme Fraiche. This gives the eggs a lovely fluffy consistancy and the dill brings out a great flavor. Some people like to use chives, I like dill.
Served with a toasted english muffin and fresh orange juice.

1 comment:

Michelle B said...

Please set a place for me! The bacon looks great!

Post a Comment