Friday, January 23, 2009

Fajitas!!

This was a recipe I made up along the way but it turned out totally fab! For a family of 4 I used 1lb of chicken and about a half pound of flank steak.



For the steak I made a simple marinade. In a bow I mixed thinly cut flank steak, each strip about 3 inches long. Half a cup of A1 steak sauce and about 2 tablespoons of key lime juice. If you like a little more tang use more lime.

My daughter helped me cook this meal, she's a great helper! Not only is it fun, things also get done twice as fast.

I had her season the chicken with a good dusting of lemon pepper and an equal part (about 2-3 tablespoons) of a seasoning mix called "Butt Shaker". It's a combo of brown sugar, garlic salt, pepper and chili pepper. It's really good!

While the meat was soaking up the seasoning I cut up one bell pepper and half a sweet yellow onion. The aroma at this point was making me very very hungry!

I decided to cook the steak, chicken, and veggies seperate because my husband only likes minimal "extras" as he calls them. I started the chicken first, then the steak and then the onions and peppers about 3 minutes after the meat was cooking.

Just before turning the fire off the meats and veggies, I wrapped a stack of tortillas in a damp papertowel and popped it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Just enough to steam warm.

I got the condiments ready. Shredded cheddar, salsa (or taco sauce in this case), and mexican sour cream. Sprinkle on a little chopped cilantro for a bit more of a twist.

Acabado! Dinner is served! I would normally serve this with a side of rice pilaf but it was one of those friday evenings after a long work week and this was going to have to do.
Another nice thing about cooking with my daughter-she loves to do dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment